Favourite subjects: Landscapes, Candids, Nature, Macro … well practically anything!
Photographic influence… Dad
Favourite places for photography: New Zealand, Australia, Indonesia, UK, Singapore (in that order )
Started out with… I vaguely remember using a Fujica 110-format camera when I was 4 or 5 years-old — “wasting film” as Mum would say! When I was about nine or ten years-old, Dad passed me his Nikon FG SLR to play with on a trip to the airport. He sold that camera away eventually. When I was twelve, dad won a Canon New F-1 system (SLR body, lenses and a film motordrive) in a competition. I read the manual of the Canon New F-1 from cover to cover and was allowed to take some pictures with it, mainly on trips to the zoo or the botanical gardens. For many years, I was photographically-dormant before I broke into digital photography with a Canon Powershot S10 in 2000, then a Powershot G3 in end-2002. I have moved to Canon EOS Digital SLRs since 2003. In 2011, I bought a Panasonic Micro 4/3s Lumix camera while on a one-year sabbatical in the UK — convenient for travel! I alternate between my Canons and the Lumix depending on my needs these days.
Gear (past and present): Canon EOS 5D Mark III,
Canon EOS 7D, Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 20D, Canon EOS 300D, Canon Powershot S90, Canon Powershot G10, Canon Powershot S5 IS, Canon Powershot G3, Canon Powershot S10, Panasonic Lumix G3. Canon lenses: EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-5.6, EF 17-40mm f4 L, EF 24-105mm f4 L, EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 USM IS, EF 70-200mm f4 L, EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 L USM IS, EF 50mm f1.8, EF 40mm f2.8 STM, EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6. Canon Speedlite 430EX. Panasonic Micro 4/3s lenses: LUMIX G VARIO 14-42/F3.5-5.6, LUMIX G VARIO 45-200/F4.0-5.6. Apple iPhone 4S
Post-processing: Abobe Lightroom 4 and Photoshop CS5 on a 15-inch Apple MacBook Pro and 24-inch iMac.
Special themes/ideas that I hope to convey through my pictures… Making the mundane look interesting… and seizing that precious moment and making it ever-lasting.
Exhibitions to date:
- The UOB Painting Of The Year Exhibition in 2003 (Highly commended – Photography Section)
- “Catching Light And Shadows 2003″ – A Photo Exhibition by the Chinatown Photographic Club, Singapore and Nusantara Photo Club, Indonesia
- 3rd Suncoast Virtual Salon 2004 (Honourable Mention)
- 2005 Tropical Image Exhibition
- 2005 RPS Member’s Exhibition
- The Inaugural Ngee Ann Photographic Exhibition 2005
- “To Singapore With Love”, a book project commemorating the 40th National Day of Singapore in 2005.
- Ngee Ann Photographic Exhibition 2006
- Ngee Ann Photographic Exhibition 2007
- 2009 RPS Members’ Exhibition
- Photo Friday Noteworthy on “My Favourite Spot”
- Photo Friday Noteworthy on “Breathtaking”
- Photo Friday Noteworthy on “Luminous”
- Photo Friday Noteworthy on “Pattern”
Updated 27 January 2013